Electricity in the Nordic countries

What do you have to be aware of regarding electric solutions in the Nordic countries.

Nordic countries use electrical standards (50 hz/220-240 volts) so converters or transformers may be required for small electrical appliances brought from home. Hair dryer from America is not recommended, and many hotels have their own hair dryer in the rooms.

Northern Europe adapter

Some appliances, like chargers for laptops, digital cameras or mobile phones, may already be compatible with multiple voltages and may just need a travel adapter. Nordic countries uses the standard Euro plug socket with two round prongs so you can use adapter types “C” or “F” (often labelled as a Northern Europe adapter).

How to find adapters

Make sure to check the voltage labels on your appliances or chargers to see if you need to use just an adapter or a converter/transformer with an adapter. Converters and adapters are available for purchase in Nordic countries at many major hotels and guesthouses, electronic stores and some souvenir shops and bookstores.